The Yorker’s candidate profile for Scott Dawson who is running for the position of Welfare and Community Officer in the YUSU Elections 2015.
Name Scott Dawson
Candidate for Welfare and Community Officer
Why are you running? I’ve run because I want to leave a positive mark on welfare and community at the university! I really enjoyed the role I had in Goodricke and I want improve and support the student experience at York! I feel as though I have a lot to give and I want to implement everything in my manifesto and more!
What are your policies? My policies are centered around 3 areas that I want to LEVEL UP! This being Student Safety, Student Support and Student Health.
- Level Up Student Safety: A sick bus taxi scheme on club nights for Nightsafe and central, accessible facilities for Nightline.
- Level Up Student Support: I will create a YUSU approved part-time job database for students looking for work. I will work closer with colleges to understand what’s work well and what isn’t. I’ll also be bringing in listening and signposting training for all college welfare, liberation groups, sports captains and society chairs.
- Level Up Student Heath: Supporting open door team via RAG and mental health awareness societies to provide alternative resources and information on mental health support. I’ll be creating free healthy food stands across campus during term and a student healthy recipe book. Lastly, a pay as you go gym membership in exam season!
Why should students vote for you? Students should vote for me because I have both the experience and determination to make the role of welfare and community officer into something truly special! I’ve been vice chair for welfare at Goodricke College and history department course for 3 years. This means I’ve arranged everything from policy reform to an entire Freshers Week! I can’t express how much I love this place, everything about York University is awesome, and I just want to make it even greater! I will fully implement all of my policies, they will be put into place, and I intend to do so much more if I get the role!
Manifesto in a sentence Level up your welfare with better facilities, support structures and opportunities!
Latest posts by Nora Wong (see all)
- Vanbrugh Paradise to be transformed to Vanbrugh Piazza - February 28, 2015
- YUSU Election 2015 Result Liveblog - February 27, 2015
- Controversy: Should International Officer be ISA President? - February 27, 2015