Image: The Press, York

Fire at Micklegate Pub

The beginnings of a fire incident last night in Micklegate came through at around 10pm. Spotted were, one police car, one ambulance and three fire engines sighted at a location just near Brigantes restaurant. Smoke was seen seen billowing out of doors around 114 Micklegate. Later updates revealed that it was Brigantes itself which was the location of the fire. 

 

This morning, updates have emerged. It turns out that customers in the pub, Brigantes were evacuated after a faulty tumble dryer caused a fire. As a result, the pub is expected to be closed for a few days. Thick smoke was already in the building when fire crew arrived. A witness who was working next door to Brigantes claimed that the fire started in a room that had faulty equipment and was not being monitored by any staff.

There was extensive fire damage caused in the main room and damage also to adjoining buildings as black smoke began to seep into next door. All customers and people present in the building managed to get out safely and the fire was eventually put out. North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue arrived promptly and were efficient in putting the fire out.

The following two tabs change content below.
Violet Daniels

Violet Daniels

Editorial Director
Full time History student | Editor of the Yorker 2017/2018
Violet Daniels

Latest posts by Violet Daniels (see all)