Where are our alumni today?
“…being involved in The Yorker was the best decision I made at university.” – Stephen Thorne
Since its inception in 2006 and formal launch in 2007, The Yorker has gained a reputation for high-quality, pertinent journalism from students at the University of York. Our alumni have pursued varied, exciting careers:
- many of our alumni have followed their passions for journalism into the world of media; you can find their words in print and online for such newspapers as the Guardian, the Sun, the Daily Telegraph and the Observer, as well as magazines such as the New Statesman and Yours
- some of our alumni are currently reporters for media companies, including William Reed Business Media
- many alumni have gone on to enjoy careers in marketing and public relations for companies and organisations such as Weber Shandwick, Citypress
- some of our alumni are part of industry-leading companies such as L’Oreal, KPMG and Deloitte
- some of our alumni are involved in either politics, for example working as researchers and assistants to Members of Parliament or as local councillors, or the civil service
- a number of our alumni have returned to university for further study
- at least one of our alumni has set up a local newspaper of their own!
The Yorker‘s 2016/2017 team started a record of our former editors and directors, which you can read here. If you were a member of our team between 2007 and 2014, don’t hesitate to get in touch to help us complete our list.
If you have any photographs, images or some memories you’d like to share with the current team, contact the Alumni & Public Relations Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In October 2018 The Yorker started a regular newsletter for former members of the team. You can see the first edition of the newsletter here.
At the moment our newsletter is distributed to our alumni on a monthly basis. We hope that, with time and more connections with former staff and writers, we will be able to communicate with our alumni more often, sharing news and updates about the company and about our old teams.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please email email@example.com with your details.